Tuesday, February 16, 2016

I Work Hard 4 The Mula !

I Work Hard
for the Mula !



Although, I'm not a working woman yet, I have aspirations and determination to be. And as a young, black woman that wishes to be a successful entrepreneur and Radio/TV personality I understand that sometimes it may be hard to have a equal, prosperous relationship. 

There is an epidemic that is sweeping our nation, and it's the wave of the working woman. According to an article on Inc.com, when it comes to Kickstarter, a funding platform for creative projects, women are more successful than men by 8%. That may have something to do with the fact that we are more likely to start something and actually finish it. 

But, back to the subject at hand. A blogger on IWillTeachYouToBeRich.com, tells us "the median income of single women between the ages of 22 and 30 is now greater than the income of single men in that same age group in most cities throughout the country." 

This statistic alone could create a few problems when it comes to dating. Men like to feel superior and this fact could cause them to feel inferior. Men are taught to be the providers in relationships so when it comes to a woman earning more than them, well it can be a tad bit emasculating. But why?

Shouldn't men and women be allowed to date whoever they want regardless of economic status? Just because I make six figures doesn't mean I can't date a man who only makes five. I would like to assume that because men were taught to be providers that they cannot wrap their brains around the fact that women could possibly make more money than them. 

Men think it makes them less of a man if their significant other is making more than them, but that shouldn't be a problem. As a woman, I want to be able to make as much money as my other half, if not more. In this day and age women are becoming more independent and I think it's a wonderful thing. 

But, I cannot entirely fault the men in this. Sometimes women have more to do with the degrading of men than we care to admit. With money comes power, and some women let that get to their heads.  

How often do you hear a woman saying, "Oh girl he's broke? He doesn't have a job! He walks to work!" Too often. Now don't get me wrong, in no way do I condone men that have no vision or future, but some just get a later start than others. 

I'm no relationship expert but in order to make a relationship like this work, (or any relationship for that matter) you have to keep an open line of communication. Also, an open mind would probably be best. 

I think it is important for all young girls and women to understand that they are capable of doing anything a man can. Don't let what society thinks hold you back from chasing your dreams. Who says that a girl can't be a football player? Who says women can't run this country? And who says that a women can't make more money than a man without it being a problem?

But in the same token, you shouldn't emasculate him because you think he isn't on the same playing field as him. We are so caught up in gender roles in this society that it is so hard to break free of the norm. I understand that it would be nice to have a spouse that makes more money than you and takes care of you. But, I believe all women are super heroes they should embrace it. 
So what you make six figures and your husband makes five? That doesn’t make him any less of a man; it just makes you one phenomenal woman. 

stay classy, stay true
xoKenya

No comments:

Post a Comment