Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Girls Go to College to Get More KNOWLEDGE !

Girls Go to College
To Get More Knowledge



I cannot express how important it is to receive higher education.  I cannot express how important it is to be an educated woman in this world. Gone are the days were women are housewives and stay-at-home moms. Welcome to the days where women can band together and become successful entrepreneurial businesswomen. 

From the time I started college I knew I wouldn't graduate with the people I started with. My first day of orientation they told us, "Look to your left, now look to your right. The people you're sitting next to right now probably won't be here next semester." That statement could not have rang more true. 

By the time my second semester of college rolled around I lost about three friends. By the time my second year of college came around all I had left were three friends. I realized pretty early on in my career that college was not a place to play around and party. I came to the understanding that college was a breeding ground and a learning experience. I've learned things in college that I could not have learned anywhere else. 

When God gives you knowledge he intends for you to share it with those around you. So that's exactly what I did. A good friend and I flew out to Chicago (courtesy of Steve Harvey) by ourselves to have a best friend intervention. About what you may ask? Well, higher education of course. (Check out the video here in case you missed it.) 

Unfortunately, Skylar did not return to Troy University, but I can guarantee you she will never forget the words of wisdom Mr. Harvey and I both bestowed upon her. 

I understand that most people don't think that college is for them. I understand that college is expensive. Trust me, I know first hand! I also get that you can learn, network, and prosper without going to college, but this is a time that you'll never forget. These are the years that shape and mold you into the person that you are to be. And in the words of Mr. Steve Harvey himself, "college is just showing [future employers] that you can start something and finish it." 

Are you aware that college sets you up with an instant network? If I hadn't been in school, it would be very hard for me to get where I am today. I currently work with my school's radio station as an on-air talent, and producer. Now, granted I could've walked into a studio and talked my way into a job, but God made it a little easier for me. My radio/TV teacher saw something in me that he and recommend me for the job. See what I mean about an instant network?

Also, did you know that currently the pay gap between persons holding a high school diploma versus a college degree is almost $20,000? So you mean to tell me that you're willing to possibly miss out on an extra $20,000 because you didn't want to pursue a college degree? Not only that, but now most potential employers require you to have a degree! 

(Check out rapper, Dee1's video about paying Sallie Mae back.)

But Kenya, college is too expensive! You're telling me?! I owe Sallie Mae almost $20,000 back in student loans already, but there are such things as loans, scholarships, and grants. Also, consider the fact that this degree will also allow you to find a good paying job which puts you in the position to pay back your student loans. 

Before you completely cross college off your list consider the pro's and con's. 

PROS:
-lifelong friends
-experience like no other
-instant network
-preparation for the real world
-learning to live on your own
-professional/mentoring relationships
-hands on experience
-most employers require a degree

CONS:
-sky high tuition
-student loans
-some people aren't ready
-you can network on your own
-early classes
-student meal plans


Well, as you can see, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. So before you just up and decide college isn't for you, consider these factors. Remember, if I can do it so can you! 

P.S. Graduation coming in May, JUST WAIT ON IT! 





stay classy, stay true,
xo Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment